04 Feb 2019, 09:30 – 17:00 (CET)
FAO HQ, Green Room
Over the next 15 years, it is estimated that about 1.6 billion people will reach working age in low and middle-income countries. How can food systems and enhanced rural-urban linkages provide more and better jobs for women and youth? What are the key driving factors and enabling conditions for food systems and enhanced rural-urban linkages to create employment and decent work? What is the role of small cities and rural towns in promoting women and youth employment in the food systems? And what is their role in linking producers to diverse and more equitable markets?
Inclusion of youth and women in food system labour market will be paramount to achieving food security and nutrition for all.
Following the first intersessional event on The Food Security and Nutritional Impacts of Urbanization and Rural Transformation on Lower Income Groups, through an interactive format, this event will focus on policy approaches that support employment opportunities, improved livelihoods and adequate working conditions for youth and women, across food systems and across the rural-urban continuum.
Besides furthering CFS stakeholders’ understanding of the interplay between food security, nutrition and rural-urban linkages, the intersessional events organized under the workstream Urbanization and Rural transformation and implications for Food Security and Nutrition are also expected to facilitate a functional and effective link with the CFS Multi-Year Programme of Work planning process.
Interpretation services will be provided in all UN official languages.
The webcast can be followed on http://www.fao.org/webcast
The event will build on the findings of the following CFS documents:
- CFS 44 2017: Addressing Food Security and Nutrition in the Context of Changing Rural-Urban Dynamics: Experiences and Effective Policy Approaches (CFS 2017/44/6)
- CFS 43 2016: Urbanization, Rural Transformation and Implications for Food Security and Nutrition: Key Areas for Policy Attention and Possible Roles for CFS (CFS 2016/43/11)
- Condolences for former Director-General Jacques DioufAugust 18, 2019 - 12:00 am
- One year on, close to 5 million pigs lost to Asia’s swine fever outbreakAugust 9, 2019 - 12:00 am
- We need better stewardship of our land to tackle climate change, safeguard food security and conserve biodiversityAugust 8, 2019 - 12:00 am
Tel: +263 242 860 327
1574 Alpes Road
- Monday-Friday: 8am to 4:30pm
- Saturday: Closed
- Sunday: Closed