29 May, 2019 - 12:15 PM TO 01:45 PM EDT
Interventions and innovation can lower the price of individual foods, but healthy eating depends on access to a mix of foods from diverse sources. How has the overall cost of meeting dietary needs changed over time worldwide, and in Africa and South Asia specifically? What determines the cost of a healthy diet? And how does affordability affect dietary intake and health status in different locales?
To answer these questions, Changing Access to Nutritious Diets in Africa and South Asia (CANDASA) has been using new food price indexes that account for food substitutions to meet nutritional needs to evaluate food systems all over the world, including in Ethiopia, Ghana, India, Malawi, and Tanzania.
This seminar will present the outcomes of CANDASA’s work to date, with a panel discussion featuring field researchers from each country to discuss the local and global implications of their results.
Research by Tufts and IFPRI on this topic is supported by UKAid and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
- Derek Headey, Senior Research Fellow, IFPRI
- Fantu Nisrane Bachewe, Research Coordinator, IFPRI
- Yan Bai, PhD Candidate, Tufts University
- Stevier Kaiyatsa, Economist, Ministry of Finance, Planning & Development, Malawi
- Fulgence Mishili, Senior Lecturer, Sokoine University of Agriculture, Tanzania
- Kalyani Raghunathan, Research Fellow, IFPRI
- Daniel Sarpong, Associate Professor and Dean, School of Agriculture, University of Ghana
- Kate Schneider, PhD Candidate, Tufts University
Light lunch will be available starting at 11:45am. Event begins promptly at 12:15pm.
Tuesday, May 21, 2019
9:00am New York
What is a healthy diet? This Ag2Nut webinar presents how 90 countries have answered that question, sharing results from a newly-published Global Review of Food-Based Dietary Guidelines (FBDG). The number of countries with FBDG is slowly increasing, and the newest will be Ethiopia, which is currently in the process of developing FBDG for the first time. This discussion will give an inside view into how countries define healthy diets that are appropriate for nutrition, culture, and the specific food system of a place.
The webinar will be recorded.
- SUN Country MeetingApril 30, 2019 - 1:28 pm
- SUN Global MeetingApril 12, 2019 - 11:26 am
- ZimVAC Kariba WorkshopDecember 20, 2018 - 9:02 am
- World Food Day 2018December 19, 2018 - 5:44 pm
- Chipinge Food FairDecember 19, 2018 - 8:47 am
- Documentation of the Role of Chiefs in Promoting Food and Nutrition SecurityDecember 19, 2018 - 8:46 am
Tel: +263 242 860 327
1574 Alpes Road
- Monday-Friday: 8am to 4:30pm
- Saturday: Closed
- Sunday: Closed