The current global outbreak of Coronavirus (COVID-19) has disrupted food systems around the world. Food environments are where people meet the food system. Around the world people’s food environments are rapidly changing in both their external dimensions – food availability, prices, vendors- as well as personal dimensions – geographical access, affordability, convenience and desirability. These rapid food environment changes are influencing the consumers’ dietary practices and can lead to a deterioration in both individual, and country level,nutritional and health status.
The people, and their health and nutrition status, are what counts. Healthy, sustainable diets that contain sufficient fruits and vegetables are crucial in protecting people’s immunity. Particularly for those at risk of, or suffering from food insecurity and those with pre-existing non-communicable diseases who are at a heightened risk of becoming severely ill with the virus.
The work of UN agencies and partner organizations to promote nutrition and healthy food systems during the pandemic is continually expanding and strengthening. Contributing to the coronavirus pandemic response, the UNSCN has compiled a list of available resources and key readings with a focus on nutrition and food systems. This list will be continually updated and expanded as more resources become available.
UN AGENCIES GENERAL RESPONSE
- UN: Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) (Continually updated)
- WHO: COVID-19 pandemic (Continually updated)
Latest updates on COVID-19 including daily press releases, technical guidance, advice for the public and research updates.
- FAO: COVID-19 Outbreak (Continually updated)
An overview of FAO’s action in regard to the outbreak, key messages, questions and answers.
- UNICEF: COVID-19 – what you need to know about the virus to protect you and your family (Continually updated)
Latest news and fact based information on COVID-19, including advice for parents, teens, teachers and employees.
- WFP: Emergency Response and Situation Reports (Continually updated)
Latest updates on WFP’s response to COVID-19, key links and situation reports.
- UN Women, WHO, IFRC and OCHA: COVID-19: How to include marginalized and vulnerable people in risk communication and community engagement (19 March)
A guide for risk communication and community engagement with marginalized people who are more vulnerable in emergencies.
- Coronavirus Food Supply Chain Under Strain What to do? (24 March)
- COVID-19 and Food Supply: A Four-Pronged Battle Plan for Countries by FAO Chief Economist Maximo Torero Cullen (23 March)
- CGIAR’s Response to COVID-19 (Continually updated)
- The COVID-19 Crisis and Food Systems: probable impacts and potential mitigation and adaptation responses (23 March)
PREGNANCY, BREASTFEEDING, INFANT/YOUNG CHILD FEEDING
- COVID-19 and Pregnancy (18 March)
- COVID-19 and Breastfeeding (18 March)
- UNICEF & GTAM
- Infant and Young Child Feeding (IYCF) in the context of COVID-19 (27 March with updates every 10 days)
SCHOOL AGED CHILDREN
- UNICEF, WHO & IFRC
- Key Messages and Actions for COVID-19 Prevention and Control in Schools
EMERGENCY NUTRITION RESPONSE
- Global Nutrition Cluster
- COVID-19 and Nutrition Technical Brief brief (13 March, Updated Fortnightly)
- Recommendations For Adjusting Food Distribution Standard Operating Procedures In The Context Of The Covid-19 Outbreak (13 March)
- Guidance for cash-based transfers in the context of the Covid-19 (13 March)
UNICEF & GTAM- Nutrition Programming in the context of COVID-19 brief (27 March with updates every 10 days)
Articles and blog posts providing insights into nutrition and food systems in the response to COVID-19
- IFAD: The potential impact of COVID-19 on SDG 2 (food security) – in China and globally (13 March)
- WFP: How to minimize the impact of Coronavirus on food security (16 March)